New Poindexter village old Carl brown site on Mt Vernon Ave.
The former site of the first black owned grocery store in Columbus Ohio, Carl L Brown Grocery Store was located at the corner of 1315 Mt. Vernon avenue and S. Champion Avenue. In 2014 the City of Columbus purchased the site after it at seat closed for many years and deeded it over to Columbus NextGen for redevelopment of the site in 2015. The site was sold to Coumbus Metropolitan Housing in 2017 to complete the rebuilding of the new Poindexter Housing Development. Picture above is the former Carl L Brown Grocery Store and the New Poindexter Village Development that took its place.
This former Funeral home site and 1st ever black owned bank in Columbus Ohio (1932) called The Adelphia Savings and Loan on Columbus near Eastside on E Long Street, sat abandon and boarded up until the site was purchased by Columbus Nexgen in 2016 and redeveloped into apartments and commercial space by the Borror Corporation. The buildings opened in 2021.
Next gen purchased over 2 acres of land since 2017 in the linden neighborhood along cleveland ave between myrtle and briarwood avenues. Demolished several board up properties on the site to clear the land for a 100 unit affordable senior mix use of apartments and commercial space. Nextgen chose Homeport to complete the project.